Premalata Jena Associate professor firstname.lastname@example.org 01332-284757
Areas of Interest
- Smart Grid , Smart grid technology and protection, Microgrid, Microgrid Protection, Signal processing apllication to power system relaying, Power system Protection , Protection Issues with FACTS Devices, Protection Scheme Development for a line with FACTS devices, Disturbance localization, Signal processing application for disturbance localization
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Associate Professor||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2012-01-01||7 years||Assistant Professor||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2011-01-01||1 year||Women Scientist||Department of Electrical Engineering, IT Kharagpur|
|2012-01-01||5 years||O. C Power System Laboratory||IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||Ongoing||O. C Real Time Simulation Laboratory||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||O. C Dr M. P. Varshney Smart Grid Laboratory||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||4 years||Member, Department Administrative Committee||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||4 years||Member, Department Research Committee||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||4 years||O.C. Time Table||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||Ongoing||O.C Electrical Engg. Society||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||2 years||Member of Printing committee, Annual Convocation||IIT Roorkee|
Honors and Awards
|Women Excellence Award||SERB, DST, Gov. of India, New Delhi||2017|
|Early Carrier Research Award||SERB, DST, Gov. of India, New Delhi||2016|
|INAE Young Engineer Award-2013||Indian National Academy of Engineering||2013|
|POSOCO Power System Award-2013||POSOCO,PGCIL, Govt. of India||2013|
|Women Scientist Scholarship||DST, NEW DELHI||2011|
|PhD||Electrical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||2011|
|M. Tech.||Electrical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||2006|
|B. Tech||Electrical Engineering||Utkal University||2001|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Development of Renewable Energy Integrated Smart Grid Laboratory||MHRD, India||2019-01||Ongoing|
|SMART GRID||SERB, DST, New Delhi||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Damping of active power oscillation in Transmission lines fed by Hydro power plants||THDC, Ltd., India||2019-01||Ongoing|
|Microgrid protection||SERB, New Delhi||2016-01||Ongoing|
|D-SIDE||DST, New Delhi||2018-01||Ongoing|
|HIGH IMPEDANCE FAULT DETECTION IN AN INTERCONNECTED NETWORK||DST||2011-01||Ongoing|
- IEEE , Member
- INAE, Young Associate
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|B Tech (First Year)||EEN-101||Introduction to Electrical Engineering||Spring|
|B Tech (First Year)||EEN-112||Electrical Science||Spring|
|B Tech (Third Year)||EEN-304||Analog Protection for Power system||Autumn|
|B Tech (Third Year)||EEN-301||Power System Analysis and Control||Autumn|
|PG-BTECH(FOURTH YEAR)PHD||EEN-668||Digital Protection for Power system||Spring|
|PG-BTECH(FOURTH YEAR)PHD||EEN-672||Smart Grid||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Smart Grid technology for wind power generation||Ram Sing|
|Impact of distributed generation on power system||,Vikas Negi|
|Smart Grid Protection||Javeed Bsshir|
|Protection of transmission lines with FACTS devices||Nikhil Khaddar|
|Detection of fault in transmission line during power swing||Rohan Gupta|
|Protection of distribution system with presence of distributed generation and cost estimation||Chetna Verma|
|Hardware-in-the-loop setup development of a PV integrated distribution system||Madan Mohan Sahu|
|Development of innovative techniques for identifying the source of power quality events in a microg||Kota Sai Sasank|
|Islanding detection in a microgrid environment||Nidhi Gupta|
|Investigation of voltage stability issues associated with interconnection of wind turbine induction||Akansha Saxena|
|DC microgrid protection||Manju|
|Issues with grid integration of renewable energy sources||Chirag Anand|
|Wide area monitoring and protection of transmission lines||Siddharth Chandak|
|Power quality issues in microgrid system||Jayanarayanan Unny V. K|
|Impact of demand side management on Smart Grid operation||Suraj Yadav|
|Micro-PMU for Smart Grid||Ravi Singh|
|Fault detection in an AC microgrid system||Yogesh Sharma|
|Impact of Electric Vehicle on power system Protection||Prasant Mohanty|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Adaptive distance relaying for power network||Jeetendra Kumar||O||2013-01|
|Adaptive Protection schemes for microgrid system||Harikrishna Muda||O||2013-01|
|Synchrophasor Technonoly for Smart Grid||Mr. P. Phanidra||O||2015-01|
|Adaptive Directional Overcurrent Relaying for Smart Grid||Mr. P. Naveen||O||2016-01|
|Micro-PMU for Inverter based Distributed Generation System||Mr. Abhisek Mishra||O||2016-01|
|Fuse-recloser coordination in the presence of inverter based DGs||Mrs. Kartika Dubey||O||2018-01|
|DC microgrid protection||Mr Keshab rao||O||2018-01|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Innovative Techniques for Smart Grid Monitoring, Operation and protection||IIT Roorkee||2018-01|
|New trends in power system, protection and control techniques||IIT Roorkee||2017-01|
|HVDC for bulk power transmission and grid integration of renewable energy sources||IIT Roorkee||2017-01|
|Wide Area Power System Monitoring, Protection and Control||IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
|Protection and Monitoring of Power System Network in Smart Grid/Micro-grid Environment||IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
|HVDC past and present||IIT Roorkee||2013-01|
|HVDC past and present||IIT Roorkee||2013-01|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|ICPS,Power system conference||IIT Kharagpur||2010-01|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Issues due to integration of renewable energy le energy with the existing system||NIT Jamshedpur||2020-08|
|National woImpact of inverter based renewable sources on power network||IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
|Issues on grid integration of renewable energy sources 2||IIT Roorkee||2017-01|
|Explanation on Real Time Digital Simulator (RTDS) and grid integration of renewable energy sources||IIT Roorkee||2017-01|
|Wide Area Power System Protection||IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
|Protection and monitoring of transmission network||IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
|power system protection||IIT Roorkee||2013-01|
1. Premalata Jena and Ashok Kumar Pradhan," Protection systems considering the presenc eof STATCOM," Springer, Singapore, 2014
Refereed Journal Papers
- 1. A. Kumar and P. Jena, " A Scheduled Intentional Islanding Method based on Ranking of Possible Islanding Zone, "IEEE Transactions. on Smart Grid, Accepted, 2020.
- P. Kumar and P. Jena, "Frequency Disturbance Triggered d-axis Current Injection Scheme for Islanding Detection,"IEEE Transactions. on Smart Grid, Accepted, 2020.
- P. Nabin and P. Jena, "Adaptive Protection Scheme for Microgrid with Multiple Point of Common Couplings," IEEE System Journal, Accepted, 2020.
- K. Dubey and P. Jena, "Impedance Angle Based Differential Protection Scheme for Microgrid Feeders,"Accepted in IEEE System Journal, 2020.
- P. Kumar and P. Jena, "Pearsons Correlation Coefficient for Islanding Detection Using Micro-PMU Measurements"IEEE System Journal Accepted, 2020.
- P. Kumar and P. Jena, "Voting Technique based Islanding Detection Using Superimposed Phase Angle Variation," IET Renewable Power Generation,Accepted, 2020.
- P. Kumar and P. Jena, “Active slip frequency based islanding detection scheme for grid tied inverters,” IEEE Transactions. on Industrial Informatics, vol. 16, no. 7, 2019. .
- H. Muda and P. Jena, "The Phase Angle Based Principal Component Techniqe for Islanding Detection of Distributed Generations" IET Renewable Power Generation, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 735-746, 2018.
- H. Muda and P. Jena, "Superimposed adaptive sequence current based microgrid protection: A new technique" IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 757-767, 2017.
- J. Kumar and P. Jena, "Directional relaying in presence of STATCOM during single pole tripping", IET Science and measurements, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 673-680, 2017
- H. Muda and P. Jena, "Sequence Currents based adaptive protection approach for distribution networks with distributed generation" IET Generation Transmission and Distribution, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 154-165, 2017.
- J. Kumar and P. Jena, "Protection of double-circuit line with thyristor controlled series capacitor using principal component analysis", Electric components and systems, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 63-74, 2017.
- J. Kumar and P. Jena, “Solution to fault detection during power swing using Teager–Kaiser energy operator” Journal of Science and Engineering, Springer, 2017.
- H. Muda and P. Jena, "A New Rate of Change of Superimposed Negative Sequence Impedance Based Islanding Detection Technique for Distributed Generations" IET Generation Transmission and Distribution, vol. 10, no. 13, pp. 3170-3182, 2016.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, "Directional relaying during secondary arc using superimposed component of voltage and current," IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1626-1628, 2015.
- P. Jena and A. K.Pradhan, "Reducing current transformer saturation effect in phasor measurement unit" International Transactions on Electrical Energy System, DOI: 10.1002/etep.2152, 2015.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “Directional relaying during single-pole tripping using phase change in negative sequence current,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, vol. 28,no. 3, pp. 1548-1557,2013.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, "Directional relaying in the presence of thyristor controlled series capacitor,"IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, vol. 28, no.2, pp. 628- 636, 2013.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “An integrated approach for directional relaying of double circuit line,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, vol. 26, no.3, pp. 1783-1792, 2011.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “A positive sequence directional relaying algorithm for series compensated line,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, vol. 25, no.4, pp. 2288- 2298, 2010.
- A. K. Pradhan and P. Jena, “A solution to close-in fault problem in directional relaying,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, vol. 23, no.3, pp. 1690-1692, 2008.
- M. Milia and P. Jena, “Performance Analysis of Fast Charging Stations for G2V and V2G Microgrid Systems,” Accepted in NPSC, IIT Gnadhinagar, 2020.
- M. Goel and P. Jena, “DC microgrid protection using loss information,” Accepted in NPSC, IIT Gnadhinagar, 2020.
- P. Naveen and P. Jena, “Directional Overcurrent Relays Coordination Scheme for Protection of Microgrid”, IEEE International Conference on Smart Technologies for Power, Energy and Control, Accepted,VNIT, Nagpur, 2020.
- Bhabani Kumari Choudhury and Premalata Jena, ``A Review on Islanding Detection Schemes for DC Microgrids '', Accepted, IEEE Conference on EPREC, NIT, Jamsedpur, May 2020.
- P. Mohanty, N. P. Padhy and P. Jena,”Home Electric Vehicle Charge Scheduling Using Machine Learning Technique”, Accepted, IEEE PES POWERCON 2020.
- A. Mishra and P. Jena, "Restoration in Microgrid using System Stability Criteria," 2019 8th International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS), Jaipur, India, 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/ICPS48983.2019.9067744.
- K. Ganivada and P. Jena, "Passive Islanding Detection Techniques Using Synchrophasors for Inverter Based Distributed Generators," 2019 IEEE PES GTD Grand International Conference and Exposition Asia (GTD Asia), Bangkok, Thailand, 2019, pp. 747-751, doi: 10.1109/GTDAsia.2019.8715902.
- P. Kumar. G and P. Jena, "A Study On Effect of Different Control Strategies on Q-f Droop Islanding Detection Technique," 2019 8th International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS), Jaipur, India, 2019, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/ICPS48983.2019.9067691.
- P. Nabin and P. Jena, “Hardware-in-Loop Setup for Testing the Directional Relays Using Real Time Digital Simulator in the Presence of Distributed generations,” Accepted in Power Systems Computation Conference, Portugal, 2019.
- P. Kumar and P. Jena, “Passive Islanding Detection Techniques using Synchrophasors for Inverter Based Distributed Generators”, Published in IEEE PES GTD Grand International Conference and Exposition Asia, Thailand, 2019.
- H. Muda and P. Jena, “A New Active Islanding Detection Technique Using Superimposed Positive-Sequence Power Angle Disturbance of IBDER” Accepted in PES General Meeting, USA, 2018.
- P. Kumar and P. Jena, “Super Imposed Negative Sequence Power Based Islanding Detection Technique”, INDICON-201, IIT Roorkee, 2017.
- P. Nabin and P. Jena, “A Review on Issues and Coordination Strategies for Over Current Protection in Microgrid”, INDICAN-2017, IIT Roorkee, 2017.
- R. Gupta and P. Jena, “Detection of Fault in Transmission Line during Power Swing Using Fuzzy C-Means Clustering, IEEE, International Conference on Information, Communication, Instrumentation and Control (ICICIC), 2017.
- A. Mishra and P. Jena, “Superimposed Positive Sequence Voltage and Current Based Islanding Detection Techniques for Microgrid”, CERA-2017,IIT Roorkee, 2017.
- J. Kumar and P. Jena , “Detection of Fault During Power Swing Using Superimposed Negative Sequence Apparent Power Based Scheme”, CERA-2017, IIT Roorkee, 2017.
- S. Sarangi and P. Jena,“Secured Zone 3 Protection During Load Encroachment Using Synchrophasors, CERA-2017,IIT Roorkee,2017.
- Harikrishna Muda and P. Jena, “Real time simulation of new adaptive overcurrent technique for microgrid protection”, Published in 19th National Power Systems Conference (NPSC), IIT Bhubaneswar, 19-21 Dec., 2016.
- Harikrishna Muda and P. Jena, “Principle component based passive islanding detection technique for distributed generations”, International Conference on 21st Century Energy Needs-Materials, Systems, and Applications, IIT Kharagpur, 17-19 Nov., 2016.
- Harikrishna Muda and P. Jena, “Real-time simulation of hybrid microgrid for islanding detection analysis”, IEEE 6th International Conference on Power Systems(ICPS), IIT Delhi, India, 4-6 Mar., 2016.
- J. Kumar and P. Jena “Fault detection during power swing using Teager-Kaiser energy operator”, IEEE 6th International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS), pp. 1- 6, 2016.
- Harikrishna Muda and P. Jena, “Sequence component based islanding detection technique”, National Conference On Sustainable Energy, Micro and Smart Grid Technologies, Siksha O Anusandhan University Bhubaneswar, India, 2-3 Jan., 2015.
- Harikrishna Muda, Kota Sai Sasank and P. Jena, “Analysis of overcurrent protection schemes for active distribution networks”, Indian Smart Grid week, Bangalore, India, 2-6 Mar., 2015.
- J. Kumar and P. Jena “Fault detection in a series compensated line during power swing using superimposed apparent power”, IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, PP. 1-6, 2015.
- M. Harikrishna, J Kumar and P Jena, “Detection of operational-mode of TCSC using positive sequence technique”, Eighteenth National Power Systems Conference (NPSC),IIT Guwahati, 1-6, 2014.
- M Harikrishna, J Kumar and P Jena, “Detection of operational-mode of TCSC using positive sequence technique”, Eighteenth National Power Systems Conference (NPSC), Guwahati, 1-6, 2014.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, "High Impedance fault detection,' NPSC,IIT Bombay, 2012.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “An integrated approach for directional relaying of double circuit line”, IEEE PES General Meeting, USA, 2012.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “Solution to directional relaying for double circuit line”, in IEEE International conference on Energy, Automation and Signal, Bhubaneswar, 2011
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “A positive sequence directional relaying algorithm for series compensated line”, IEE PES General Meeting, USA, 2011.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “Overcoming directional relaying problem during current transformer saturation using data fusion technique”, 4th International Conference on Computer Applications in Electrical Engineering-Recent Advances, IIT Roorkee, India, 19-21 , Feb., 2010.
- P. Jena and A. K. Pradhan, “Directional relaying during power swing and single-pole tripping”, IEEE International Conference on power systems, IIT Kharagpur, India, 27-29 Dec., 2009.
- P. Jena, A. K. Pradhan and A. Routray, “A solution towards current transformer saturation problem in power system protection”, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Power Systems, CPRI Bangalore, India, 12-14 Dec., 2007