Dr. M. Felix Orlando
Felix O.M. Joseph Assistant professor firstname.lastname@example.org (+91)1332284864 Website
Areas of Interest
- Student Research Projects:, Students can apply for internship for working towards (i) Intelligent Cane, (ii) Ball Plate Control, Medical Robotics:, Real-Time Control of Active Flexible Needle for Percutaneous Intervention, Rehabilitation Robotics:, Design and Control of Hand and Leg Exoskeletons using EMG/EEG signal with Touch/Force/Angular sensor, Disaster Robotics:, Design, Development and Control of Rescue Robots, Robotic Surgery, Teleoperated Master-Slave Robotic Surgery based on Haptics Feedback, Human Hand Biomechanics:, Redundancy Resolution of Human Fingers while performing Activities of Daily Living, Intelligent Sensors:, Experimental Study, Visual Servoing:, Ball Plate Balancing System using Realtime Vision Feedback, Virtual Instrumentation:, Signal Processing and Manipulation
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Assistant Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2017-01-01||2 years||Faculty In-charge for B.Tech. Project||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2019-01-01||1 year||Faculty-In-charge of Departmental Website||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2020-08-31||Ongoing||Departmental PhD Interview Chairman for Instrumentation and Signal Processing Group.||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2020-08-31||Ongoing||Departmental Faculty In-Charge of BTech Project of Final Year Students.||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2020-08-31||Ongoing||Departmental Board Member of Industry Oriented Program (IOP) Project for Third Year Students.||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2020-08-31||Ongoing||Departmental Faculty In-Charge for Educational Tour of BTech Students.||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
Honors and Awards
|Invited Speaker for online FDP on "Mechatronics, Robotics and Automation"||OP Jindal University||2020|
|Associate Editor||IEEE International Conference RO-MAN 2020, Italy||2020|
|Co-Coordinated with Prof. Pathak for TEQIP III two week Training Workshop on "Robotics & Automation"||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2020|
|Invited Speaker for online TEQIP III Sponsored One-Week Online Course on "Technological Innovations and Challenges in Biomedical Instrumentation"||GBPIET Pauri, Uttarakhand||2020|
|Organized a Special Session on Medical Robotics||IEEE International Conference on RO-MAN 2019, India||2019|
|Course Coordinator for AICTE Sponsored Short Term Course on "Robotics and Control" during 1-5 July19||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2019|
|Invited Talk on Powered Exoskeleton Workshop||DRDO-DIPAS Delhi||2019|
|Kawamura Award for Best Indian Robotics Students||IEEE International Conference on RO-MAN 2019||2019|
|KeyNote Speaker||NCRIETS 2019 National Conference, JBIT Dehradun||2019|
|Associate Editor||IEEE International Conference on RO-MAN 2019, India||2019|
|Invited Talk on Robotics and Autonomy Workshop||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (9-10 December 2018)||2018|
|Invited Talk on DISASTER ROBOTICS||Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), South Korea (15-20 October 2018)||2018|
|Session Chair - Rehabilitation Robotics Session||IEEE/ASME Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM) 2018, Auckland, New Zealand||2018|
|Session Chair - Medical Robotics Session||IEEE/ASME Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM) 2018, Auckland, New Zealand||2018|
|Session Chair||INDICON 2017, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2017|
|GIAN Course on ROBOTIC SYSTEMS MODELING AND CONTROL||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (11-15 December 2017)||2017|
|SERB Early Career Research Award||MHRD, Government of India||2017|
|Session Chair||43rd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON17), Beijing, China||2017|
|Board Member of Student Technical Committee on Robotics||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2017|
|Session Chair||11th International Conference on "Industrial and Information Systems 2016 (ICIIS2016)||2016|
|Session Chair||ICCSCE 2016 IEEE Conference, Penang, Malaysia||2016|
|IEEE RAS Member||IEEE Robotics and Automation Society||2014|
|ASME Member||American Society of Mechanical Engineers||2014|
|IEEE Member||Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers||2014|
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Real-Time Control of Surgical Needles for Percutaneous Intervention||Case Western Reserve University, USA||2015|
|PhD||Electrical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India||2013|
|Master of Engineering||Robotics and Human Computer Interaction||Korea Institute of Science and Technology, University of Science and Technology, South Korea||2006|
|Bachelor of Engineering||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||University of Madras, India||2004|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Development of an Active Self-Actuating Smart Needle for Image-Guided Percutaneous Interventions.||Early Career Research Award, SERB, (DST) Gov. of India, (2017-2020)||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Development and Control of a Novel Hand Exoskeleton||SRIC, IIT Roorkee (2016-2019)||2016-01||Ongoing|
- IEEE, Member
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, Member
- ASME, Member
- The Robotics Society, Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Applied Instrumentation||EEN-208||EE 2nd Year Core Course||Spring|
|Introduction to Robotics||EEN-683||Departmental Elective Course||Autumn|
|Bio-Medical Robotics||EEN-614||Program Elective Course||Spring|
|Artificial Neural Networks||EEN-351||BTech Elective||Autumn|
|Engineering Analysis and Design||EEN-291||Core Course||Autumn|
|Intelligent Sensors and Instrumentation||EEN-524||MTech Core||Spring|
|Instrumentation Laboratory||EEN-523||MTech Core||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Automatic Resting State Networks Labelling||Rajat Negi|
|Intelligent control of a cane for physically challenged people||Chirayu Asati and Nitika Thurwal|
|Prediction of Needle in Medical Images using Kalman Filtering||Arjun Gupta, Ankur Yadav and Nisha Agarwal|
|Study and Control of a Biped Robot using Intelligent Control (GOLD MEDAL WINNING PROJECT)||Aayushi Shrivastava|
|Ball Plate Balancing System||Pratik Asai and Nakul|
|Needling System for Cancer Treatment (GOLD MEDAL WINNING PROJECT)||Aman Malhotra, Prashant Sekar Singh and Krishna|
|Understanding of Image Advertisement using Deep Learning Methods||Anmol Singhai, Aman Maghan and Pranav Rai|
|Surgical Needle Development.||Aviral Singhi, Ankur Kumar Yadav, Arjun Gupta|
|Index Finger Exoskeleton Control Using Inverse Kinematic Control||Nainee Kumari and Sahiti Bagam|
Research Scholar Groups
|Surender Hans||Passive Needle Control|
|Saiket Mondal||Rehabilitation Robotics|
|Sarvesh Saini||Medical Robotics: Teleoperation|
|Samsaptak Ghosh||Hand Exoskeleton Control|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Percutaneous Needle Intervention Control||Surender Hans||O||2016-01|
|Rehabilitation Robotics||Saiket Mondal||O||2019-01|
|TBA||Tesfaye Deme Tolossa||O||2020-01|
|Hand Exoskeleton Force Control using FPGA Interface||Samsaptok Ghosh||O||2018-01|
|Tele-operated Surgical Robot||Sarvesh Saini||O||2017-01|
|ECG Signal Processing and Analysis||Varsha Tomar (M. Tech)||O||2016-01|
|Robust Control of a Ball Plate System using Vision Feedback||Vivek Soni (M. Tech)||O||2016-01|
|Estimation of Stress, Strain and Temperature of a Shape Memory Alloy Wire using Extended Kalman Filt||Vaibhav Gautham (M. Tech)||O||2016-01|
|Automatic Resting State Networks Labelling||Rajat Negi (M. Tech)||O||2018-01|
|Area Estimation of Satellite Images using Machine Learning||Sanchit Agarwal (M. Tech)||O||2018-01|
|Application of Online EEG Signal for BCI||Gaurav Bansal (M. Tech)||O||2018-01|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Global Academy of Technology, Bangalore||To conduct 5 days workshop on "Robotics and Control"||2020-08-31|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Modelling and Control of Robots||Mechanical and Industrial Engineering||2016-01|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Workshop on "Robotics and Control"||Global Academy of Technology Bangalore||2020-08|
|QIP Course on Robotics and Control||AICTE, Government of India||2019-01|
|GIAN||MHRD, Government of India||2017-01|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Robotics: Modelling and Control||Coimbatore Institute of Technology||2019-01|
|Medical Robotics||JB Institute of Technology, Dehradun||2019-01|
|Robotics in Medicine||JB Institute of Technology, Dehradun||2019-01|
|Hand Exoskeleton: Design, Control and Redundancy Resolution||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||2018-01|
|Hand Exoskeleton: Design, Development and Control||Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul, South Korea||2018-01|
|Image Guided Percutaneous Cancer Interventions by Active Flexible Needle||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||2018-01|
|Disaster Robotics in India||Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul, South Korea||2018-01|
|Advanced Robotics||Defense Institute of Advance Technology, Pune||2018-01|
|Introduction of Robotics and Advanced Robotics||College of Engineering Roorkee||2018-01|
|Model Based Control of Robot Manipulators||Coimbatore Institute of Technology||2017-01|
|EMG based Neural Control of Hand Exoskeleton||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||2012-01|
|Cooperative Human Finger Motion Analysis and Optimal Design of a Three-Finger Exoskeleton||IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
National International Collaboration
|Whole Body Exoskeleton for Power Augmentation with DRDO (Under Process).||DRDO, India|
Innovation in teaching- Includes Term-Projects, LabView-Based Experiments as Laboratory works.
Other work- Nil.
Extension tasks- Research Paper Publications.
Separate summary- This course will include topics of Medical Robotics and Rehabilitation Robotics.
- Bio-Medical Robotics Course is to be taught first time in India.
Instructional tasks- Tutorials, Term-Projects and Laboratory Experiments.
Comments- Yet to receive.
Process development- To Include.
Particulars of course- Bio-Medical Robotics
NPTEL Course on Robotics and Control: Theory and Practice. (27 Jan 2020 onwards)
Refereed Journal Papers
- Eram Neha, M. Felix Orlando, Mohd Suhaib, and Yogesh Shrivastava, "An Effort for Resolving Redundancy of a Multi-finger Robotic hand in Straight line Motions," Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Springer, vol. 42, no. 600, 2020.[Impact Factor: 1.755].
- Surender Hans and M. Felix Orlando, ''Control of a Flexible Bevel-Tipped Needle using Super-Twisting Controller based Sliding Mode Observer'', ISA Transactions, Elsevier Journal, (In Press), [Q1, Impact Factor: 4.305].
- M. Felix Orlando, Laxmidhar Behera, Ashish Dutta and Anupam Saxena, "Optimal Design and Redundancy Resolution of a Novel Robotic Two-Fingered Exoskeleton", IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics, pp. 59-75, vol. 2, no. 1, Feb 2020. DOI: 10.1109/TMRB.2020.2970114
- Surender Hans and M. Felix Orlando, "Robust Control of a Bevel-Tip Needle for Medical Interventional Procedures", IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 244-256, Jan 2020[Q1, Impact Factor: 5.129].
- M. Felix Orlando and Tarun Podder, "Sliding Mode Control of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Active Flexible Needle," Robotica, vol. 36, pp. 1188-1205, May 2018, doi:10.1017/S0263574718000334 (Impact Factor: 1.509)
- M. Felix Orlando, Laxmidhar Behera, Tomayo Tamei, Tomohiro Shibata, Ashish Dutta and Anupam Saxena," On Redundancy Resolution of the Human Thumb, Index and Middle Fingers in Cooperative Object Translation," Robotica, vol. 35, Sep 2016, pp. 1992-2017, doi:10.1017/S0263574716000680 (Impact Factor: 1.509)
- M. Felix Orlando, Ashish Dutta, Anupam Saxena, Laxmidhar Behera, Tomoya Tamei and Tomohiro Shibata, “Manipulability Analysis of Human Thumb, Index and Middle Finger in Cooperative 3D Rotational Movements of a Small Object”, Robotica, vol. 31, pp. 797-809, 2013. (Impact Factor: 1.509)
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, P. Hutapea, Y. Yu, A. Dicker, T. Podder, “Development of Self-actuating Flexible Needle System for Surgical Procedures,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1-2.020945 (Jun 01, 2015) (2 pages) Paper No: MED-15-1138; doi: 10.1115/1.4030221 020945. (Impact Factor: 0.805)
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, K. Franz, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Zhao, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Control of Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Flexible Needle using Multimodal Sensory Feedbacks”, Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 428-434, 2015.
- Y. J. Zhao, B. Kohn, M. Honarwar, M. Felix Orlando, T. Podder, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, “3D Motion Planning for Robot-Assisted Active Flexible Needle Based on Rapidly-Exploring Random Trees”, Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 360-367, 2015.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Chirayu Asati, Nitika Meena and M. Felix Orlando, "Development of an Intelligent Cane for Visually Impaired Human Subjects," 28th IEEE International Conference on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (IEEE-ROMAN), 14-18 October 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/RO-MAN46459.2019.8956328
- Sarvesh Saini, P. M. Pathak and M. Felix Orlando, "Bondgraph Modelling for the Master-Slave Robotic Teleoperation System," 28th IEEE International Conference on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (IEEE-ROMAN), 14-18 October 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/RO-MAN46459.2019.8956409 (Awarded Kawamura Award for Best Indian Robotics Students to Mr. Sarvesh Saini)
- Surender Hans and M. Felix Orlando, "Continuous Sliding Mode Control of Bevel-Tip Needle for Percutaneous Interventions," 28th IEEE International Conference on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (IEEE-ROMAN), 14-18 October 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/RO-MAN46459.2019.8956434
- Nisha Agarwal, Ankur Yadav, Arjun Gupta and M. Felix Orlando, "Real-time Needle Tip Localization in 2D Ultrasound Images using Kalman Filter," IEEE/ASME Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, (IEEE/ASME-AIM) 2019, HongKong, 8-12, July 2019, pp. 1008-1012.
- Samsaptak Ghosh and M. Felix Orlando, "Continuous Joint Angle Estimation of an Index Finger Exoskeleton using Online EEG Signal," IEEE/ASME Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (IEEE/ASME-AIM) 2019, HongKong, 8-12, July 2019, pp. 808-813.
- Parmita Mondal, Madhusree Mondal, Samsaptak Ghosh and M. Felix Orlando, "Force Control of an Index Finger Exoskeleton for Rehabilitation of Stroke Patients", IEEE-Applied Signal Processing Conference (IEEE-ASPCON), Kolkata, 7-9 Dec, 2018, pp. 183-187.
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Prem Kumar, Laxmidhar Behera, "Redundancy Resolution of an Index Finger Exoskeleton using Self Organizing Map", IEEE/ASME Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (IEEE/ASME-AIM) 2018, Auckland, New Zealand, 9-12 July 2018, pp. 863-868.
- Aman Malhotra, Prasant Shekar Singh, Krishna and M. Felix Orlando, "Design, Fabrication and Control of a Smart Flexible Needle For Minimal Invasive Surgical Procedures", IEEE/ASME Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (IEEE/ASME-AIM) 2018, Auckland, New Zealand, 9-12 July 2018, pp. 226-231.
- M. Felix Orlando, Surender Hans, Aviral Singhai, Arjun Gupta, Ankur Yadav, Aman Malhotra, Prashant Sekhar and Krishna, "Inverse Kinematic Control of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Smart Needle for Percutaneous Intervention", IEEE-TENCON 2017, Penang, Malaysia, 5-8 Nov 2017, pp. 1159-1164.
- M. Felix Orlando, "Development of Closed Loop Coordinated Control of a Robot Guided SMA Actuated Flexible Active Needle with Multimodal Sensory Feedbacks", 43rd IEEE International Conference on Industrial Electronics Society, 2017, (IEEE-IECON 17), Beijing, China, 29 Oct - 1 Nov 2017, pp. 2846-2851.
- M. Felix Orlando, Sparsh Gupta, Ankita Puwar, Chetanya Rastogi, Vishrut, Rahul, Avishek, “Classification of Extension and Flexion Positions of Thumb, Index and Middle Fingers using EEG Signal”, 6th IEEE International Conference on Control System, Computing and Engineering (IEEE-ICCSCE 16), Penang, Malaysia, Nov. 25-27, 2016, pp. 298-303.
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Closed Loop Control of a Robot Assisted Smart Flexible Needle for Percutaneous Intervention”, 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Milano, Italy, Aug. 25-29, 2015, pp. 3663-3666.
- M. Felix Orlando, K. Franz, K, Y. Luan, Y. L. Zhao, N. V. Datla, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Development of a coordinated controller for robot-assisted shape memory alloy actuated needle for prostate brachytherapy”, 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Chicago, US, Aug. 26-30, 2014, pp. 357-360.
- Y. J. Zhao, M. Felix Orlando, K. Franz, K, N. V. Datla, Y. D. Zhang, T. Podder, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, “Path Planning for Robot-Assisted Active Flexible Needle using Improved Rapidly-Exploring Random Tree”, 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Chicago, US, Aug. 26-30, 2014, pp. 380-383.
- J. Ngeo, T. Tamei, T. Shibata, M. Felix Orlando, L. Behera, A. Saxena and A. Dutta, “Control of an Optimal Finger Exoskeleton based on Continuous Joint-angle Estimation from EMG signal,” 35th Annual International conference on IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society(IEEE-EMBS), 2013, pp. 338-341.
- M. Felix Orlando, Dutta, A., Saxena, A., Behera, L., Shibata, T., and Tamei, T., 2012, "Hybrid Control of a three finger hand exoskeleton based on EMG and inverse kinematics model," The 30th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ), September 17-20, 2012, pp. 1-6.
- M. Felix Orlando, Dutta, A., Saxena, A., Behera, L, Shibata, T, and Tamei, T, 2011, “Design and development of a three finger hand exoskeleton”, The 29th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ), Shibaura, September 7-9, 2011, pp. 1-6.
- M. Felix Orlando, H. Akolkar, A. Dutta, A. Saxena and L. Behera, "Optimal design and control of a thumb exoskeleton”, IEEE TENCON, Fukuoka, Japan, 2010. pp. 1492-1497.
- M. Felix Orlando, H. Akolkar, A. Dutta, A. Saxena and L. Behera, "Optimal design and control of a hand exoskeleton”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (IEEE-RAM), Singapore, 2010, pp. 72-77.
- M. Felix Orlando and Oh Young Hwan, “Robot arm control using optimized pinch grasp posture based on object shape”, Proc. 37th Korea Institute of Electrical Engineers, 1, 2006, 1929-1930.
Peer Reviewed Extended Abstracts
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Effects of Tissue Interference on Electromagnetic Sensor and Ultrasound Imaging Sensing for Robot Guided Needle Interventions,” Medical Physics, 42,3596, 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4925550
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Hutapea, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Prostate HDR Brachytherapy with Multichannel Robotic System,” Medical Physics, 42,3534, 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4925215
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Hutapea, T. Podder, Y. Yu, “Experimental Evaluation of Coordinated Control Scheme of a Robot Guided Active Flexible Needle with US and EM Sensory Feedbacks,” World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (WC2015), 2015. (Accepted for Oral Presentation).
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, P. Hutapea, Y. Yu and Tarun Podder, "Development of Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Smart Needles with Closed-Loop Control System Using Imaging and EM Sensor Feedbacks for Percutaneous Interventions," Case Scientific Retreat, University Hospitals, Case Western Reserve Unversity, 2-3 July 2014.
- Surender Hans and M. Felix Orlando, "Control of a Flexible Needle for Therapeutic Procedures," Workshop on Next Level Innovation in Robotics and Autonomy, IIT Kanpur, 9-10 December 2018.
- Samsaptak Ghosh and M. Felix Orlando, "Force Control of an Index Finger Exoskeleton," Workshop on Next Level Innovation in Robotics and Autonomy, IIT Kanpur, 9-10 December 2018.
- T.Podder and M. Felix Orlando, “A Novel Active Flexible Needle for Medical Interventions,” Filed as IP at Case Western Reserve University on 6thFeb 2015.